suffolkauxiliarypolice.com Forum Index suffolkauxiliarypolice.com
The Official Suffolk County Auxiliary Police Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LIVE Chat [NEW]    Photo AlbumPhoto Album [NEW]   

New Gun Control Legislation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    suffolkauxiliarypolice.com Forum Index -> Patrol Stories, Details and Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtaddeo244

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: New Gun Control Legislation Reply with quote

Hello All,

Just a heads-up, Gov. Cuomo has proposed -- and the NYS legislature is currently considering -- legislation which would make possession of any firearm magazine with a capacity over 7 rounds a felony. If the bill is passed, which some senate leaders say is certain, possession of the equipment specified by our R&P would become criminal. Currently, glock does not manufacture any magainze that would compliant with the ban, nor does department policy authorize us to carry any non-prescribed equipment.

Details on Cuomo's proposal here: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/gov-cuomo-legislative-leaders-confident-gun-control-deal-finalized-days-article-1.1239477

Consider contacting your representatives today and respectfully explaining the predicament to their legislative assistants on the phone.

Contact info: http://www.nysrpa.org/files/standupflyer.pdf. In addition, Smithtown is in the Senatorial District of Sen. Flanagan, who can be reached here: 518-455-2071

APO Michael Taddeo 244
Suffolk Auxiliary Police
Patrol Officer, Unit 4
gsiska184

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Time To Act Reply with quote

Time for us to act...not to create another exemption in the laws, but to finally have APO's reognized as Peace Officers, state-wide, not "during a declared emergency" , and then only if they are specifically designated during that emergency, etc. Clear up the "use of force" baton dilemma, give us the same rights if assaulted, as a firefighter, EMS worker, or a train conductor gets. Even if we still carry "on a permit", give us the respect and protection we deserve, as well as the power to do our job.

APO Gary Siska 184
Suffolk Auxiliary Police
Patrol Officer, Unit 3
jchindananta302
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the bill passed and will be signed into law, yet another restriction for us to deal with unless we act.

APO Jamorn Chindananta 302
Suffolk Auxiliary Police
Patrol Officer, Unit 5
icamacho301
APO
APO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and as Siska mentioned, unless we get the actual Peace Officer status this gun control law aimed at preventing future incidents will actually impact the roll of APO's in the county.

APO Isaias Camacho Jr. 301
Suffolk Auxiliary Police
Patrol Officer, Unit 5
mtaddeo244

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree 100% with what Gary said. It'll never happen.

But there are so many open issues that could be resolved with a status change. In the meantime, it's cumbersome baton, a hassle to purchase OC, training with different mags than we carry (possession of which at qual is dubiously legal). Of course, many more things get simpler with status.

Aux police protection act comes up every year in legislature, and fails to get legs every time. I've called my reps on that, and have been on the phone relentlessly with this SAFE nonsense.

Would probably be easier with dept. support, but I'm not sure where that stands. Rolling Eyes

Now would probably be most feasible juncture at which to push for status change, but...

APO Michael Taddeo 244
Suffolk Auxiliary Police
Patrol Officer, Unit 4
rsnyder342
Insp.
Insp.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Legislation Reply with quote

When all this came about I sent an email to my State Assemblyman and Senator. Yesterday, at a function, I met with each of them, face to face, and explained the dilemma. If they exempt "law enforcement" it does not mean us. I told both of them the Aux Police (any in the state that are permitted to carry a firearm) have to be specifically mentioned. That is about all I can do on my end.

Insp. Ron Snyder 342
Suffolk Auxiliary Police
Coordinator, Unit 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    suffolkauxiliarypolice.com Forum Index -> Patrol Stories, Details and Information All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: